Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dancing science

Here's a topic that I meant to put out here a while ago (probably a year, actually, wow). Last year there was a fun look at the "Dance vs Power Point" at TEDxBrussells. And the reason I know it's been a year is that it's time again for the Dance Your PhD project. Last year's winners: Science announces the 2011 Dance your PhD winners and just recently announced, the winners for 2012. I know some PhD students but haven't convinced any of them to work with me on making a video of their thesis. Of course, there's already a lot of work involved in doing a PhD, so this just seems like more to do on top of climbing a Sysiphis-ian mountain. But I love that people are doing it. That dance can speak to these guys who have probably spent zero time ever dancing in a formal sense, and that it actually summarizes what they're researching for us "other folks" better than a written abstract makes me smile. Yay dance!

3 comments:

  1. And I just had to add a comment about the final paragraph in the article announcing the winners. They say of the viewers' choice winner, "surprisingly it wasn’t one of the winners chosen by the judges." I think that's because more dancers watched the video online and chose it for the quality of dance/choreography versus the scientists who were choosing on the basis of clarity of scientific explanation. So it just depends on how you look at it (or what you're looking for.)

    ReplyDelete