Sunday, February 6, 2011

Today's meeting

Thanks so much to everyone who came out despite the Super Bowl for the DanceATL meeting this afternoon! Especially thanks to our speakers, Emily Cook Harrison, RD, Dr. Frank Sinkoe, and Amanda Blackmon, PT, DPT, OCS, and our performer Blake Dalton of Crossover Movement Arts, and CORE for hosting. I was excited to have such a great turn out and interesting discussion. I took old fashioned notes (on some left over dance table flyers, go figure :) and will try to transcribe them or have my lovely new intern transcribe them (if she can read my chicken scratch) soon.
The C4 folks came and talked some about their programming as it relates to health, which I have some hand outs about if anyone's interested. (I will get them from them electronically and can email if you let me know you want them.) And they offered to help create a podcast of the meetings in the future that we can upload--sound good? Then we wouldn't need my old fashioned notes!
And here is the link for the Centre for Dance Nutrition dancernutrition.com because there's information on the site that Emily updates about topics like "energy balance" and "supplements for dancers?" My take away on the whole topic of health is that of course, it's wholistic: what you eat/drink makes a huge difference on overall health (drink water!) and that cardio and core strength "cross-training" is a good thing for dancers. We will work on compiling a list of health professionals who focus on and have an interest in working with dancers, so please let us know if you know of a great person in any related field (doctors and physical therapists, massage therapists, chiropractors etc.) who would like to be on our list. We might put the info on the eventual website, especially if they have their own websites for us to link to like Emily, or we can keep it on hand so people can contact us about it. So we won't be recreating Harkness in Atlanta any time soon, but hopefully we can make the community aware of the resources that are available to dancers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for having me. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and it was great to see such good turnout from the dance community. I will do anything I can to help with the resources that Claire mentioned.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete